One of my favorite and easy to make Russian Honey Cake.
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 egg
• 100 g butter
• 4 tablespoons honey
• 2 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 200-250 g butter, room temperature
• 300 g sweetened condensed milk
- Beat eggs with sugar until mixture has thickened and turns a pale yellow.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter with honey. Stir constantly, mixture is foamy and significantly increasing in volume. Continue stirring until the mix is lightly caramel colored.
- Remove from the heat and continue to stir for about a minute, and then add vanilla and the egg/sugar mixture.
- Stir in flour and mix well. The dough should be firm, but not too wet.
Put the dough for one hour in a warm place (usually, I leave the dough in the saucepan covered with a lid and put it in the sink with hot/warm water).
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
Prepare 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
Usually I put one piece of dough on a baking paper and roll out the dough into a thin an 8-in round 1/4-inch thick (When one piece is baking, roll out the other one).
- Bake 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or until barely golden.
- Carefully remove from the baking sheet and immediately cut the cake on a cliche (I use an 8-in plate). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Whip the butter until it becomes thicker and turned a pale yellow.
- Gradually add sweetened condensed milk.
Assemble the cake
- Coat each layer and the sides of the cake with a generous amount of cream filling.
- Sprinkle with a mixture of crumbs and ground walnuts.
- Leave the cake at room temperature for 2-3 hours and then put into the fridge for 5-6 hours minimum.